Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Co sleepers, how can I get my 6 month old to fall asleep in his crib without nursing to sleep

Co sleepers, how can I get my 6 month old to fall asleep in his crib without nursing to sleep?
My son had pretty bad jaundice and tracheal malaysia which caused him to gasp for breath every now and again. I have also had a difficult healing process including uterine infection, hemorrhage, and mastitis as a result of all this I chose to co sleep with my baby, he often nursed to sleep and now I cannot get him to sleep unless I nurse him and usually once I get out of bed he wakes up! I am returning to medical school in the fall and he will be in daycare so I need him to learn to sleep on his own. I still want to breastfeed and I dont mind if he wakes in the middle of the night to eat as long as he goes back to bed. The cry it out methods have said not to feed him at night but really I dont mind.
Newborn & Baby - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
well. really i just let my baby cry it out the dr said let them scream but for no longer than 15 minutes. so every fifteen minutes i went in, pput my hand on her tummy, told her it was oky, and gave her a binkie next night, fell asleep in crib with no porblem
2 :
my son started sleeping all through the night at 2 months and what i would do just put him down and stay with him for a bit and rub his tummy, then slowly walk away little by little make sure he can still see you, then walk away out of the room and let him cry for a bit, dont worry they'll be fine...you can check on him every now and then just dont let him see you. And he'll be skeeping alone in no time. Good luck
3 :
stick to a consistent bedtime routine with bedtime. feed the babe a nice meal and breastfeed him. put him in his crib, turn on the nightlight & sound soother, give him a book, and close the door. he will learn to self soothe. try a pacifier if your child is more oral -it helps.
4 :
i breastfeed and also co slept with my daughter, shes almost 9 months and still needs to nurse to fall asleep, its a habit i guess, lol..but i dont mind,( she wont take pacifiers) i do put her in her crib now, so she does sleep in there for half of the night, but the other half she sleeps with me, just as soon as you are done feeding her, just lay her gently in her crib, until her next feeding and do it again, it will get easier...my daughter never stays up when she wants her middle of the night feeding, we got her on a scheduale when she was 2 months old, =] good luck and dont give up



Read more discussion :